Better Skincare = Better Skin
The best offense is a great defense...
SKINCARE IS NOT A LUXURY!
This is a truth that is rarely accepted. We spend more time and money maintaining our DEAD skin (hair + nails) than taking care of our very important LIVING skin! Its kind of ridiculous when you think about how CRUCIAL our skin is for our existence. Let's just take a moment to appreciate all that our skin does for us:
- Protects everything inside os us... yeah, pretty important
- Regulates our body temperature (again, critical for survival)
- Functions as a sensory organ (touch)
- Performs endocrine functions
- Significant in reproduction (pheromone production and excretion)
- Aides in non-verbal communication (Expressing feeling and emotion)
- Assists in determining ones physical health (or perceived physical health, considered the window to the general health of your body)
- Raises or lowers attractiveness when sourcing mates (Good skin is an attractive physical attribute)
Knowing all of this information, why do we still treat skin treatments like a luxury? A frivolous pampering meant for ladies of leisure and wealthy celebrities? A visit to your skin therapist or dermatologist should be as highly regarded as a visit to your dentist or doctor.
Still think skincare is just a "luxury"?
THE TRUTH ABOUT DRUGSTORE SKINCARE PRODUCTS
Unfortunately when it comes to skincare products there is just such a OVERLOAD of information out there it can completely confusing to figure out what type of skin you even have, never-mind which skincare product brand to choose.
While this should not come as a surprise, businesses like to keep costs down too... if there was a cheap and effective, all beneficial skincare product, we would be using it in our professional treatments.
When you "self-diagnose" your skin conditions and then "self-prescribe" yourself treatments you are, in most cases, setting yourself up for disappointment. Before you make that drugstore purchase please consider these facts:
- What skin type are you and what sin conditions are you trying to treat? It is surprising how many of us believe that we are one skin type when we are actually a completely different one, or combination of multiple skin types. What's even more confusing is that your skin type can become altered with weather, environmental and internal changes.
- Many drugstore products contain ingredients to make them smell more appealing and sometimes these are harmful synthetic fragrances and oils not great for your skin.
- Many over the counter face scrubs are made from harsh and abrasive ingredients that can scratch and damage your delicate facial skin. Your exfoliation should never be painful in the slightest bit.
- Cleansers that aren't properly pH balanced will destroy the skins natural barrier leaving you with redness, sensitivity and can lead to bacterial infection (acne).
- Products without a properly formulated delivery system can just end up sitting on the skins surface.
- Certain active ingredients (for example Vitamin-C) must be the right kind and formulation to be safe and beneficial for topical use.
- It is crucial to understand how certain ingredients and chemicals react with one another in order to ensure you have the right combination of products for your skin to gain the ultimate positive results. When you are simply grabbing products off the shelves yourself you could actually be doing more harm to your skin and can even cause your skin to become sensitized through using the wrong products.
Before starting any skin care routine, please make some time to speak with a qualified skin expert to gain an understanding of your true skin type and needs, and to get an idea of what ingredients to embrace and which ones to steer clear of.
WHEN IS THE RIGHT TIME TO START A PROPER SKINCARE ROUTINE?
NOW! Now is the right time to begin taking care of your skin! There is NO PRODUCT THAT CAN REVERSE THE SIGNS OF AGEING... thus the only defense we have against the ravages and abuse of time is to start preventative actions now. Taking good care of your skin now will ensure that you have healthier, more youthful skin in the future. Waiting until you already have wrinkles and pigmentation issues will leave you with the option to manage and minimize their appearance, (without invasive cosmetic procedures) but once they're there, they're there for life.
I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A SKINCARE ROUTINE.
If you cant (or aren't willing to) set aside less than 4 minutes a day to take care of your skin... then in all likeliness, your skin will never improve. Sorry to say it, but there is no "miracle" product. No instant fix to flawless skin. If you want better skin, you have to be willing to put in a little time to make it happen. We suggest incorporating the most important aspects of skincare into your routine bit by bit if you're not ready to commit to a full regime just yet, but optimally a simple 5 step, 4 minute daily routine would be best.
Cleanse (1 minute)- So super important especially with all the cosmetic products we plaster on, not to mention that just living in the city deposits tons of pore clogging gunk onto your face on a daily basis.
Exfoliate (1 minute) - A gentle exfoliator designed for daily use is recommended (Daily Microfoliant from Dermalogica is GREAT) but alternatively a weekly exfoliant is beneficial as well. Gets that dead skin off, keeps skin smooth and bright as well as helps with pigmentation issues.
Tone (20 seconds) - A good toner is recommended to help your other products to absorb better into your skin, optimizes the benefits you receive from your boosters and moisturizers. A key step to your skincare routine and usually just needs to be misted onto the face after cleansing and exfoliation.
Hydrate (30 seconds) - Dehydrated and dry skin looks dull and can become irritated and inflamed causing red patches and discomfort. Proper skin hydration is key to maintaining soft, supple, healthy looking skin that feels great and rakes in the compliments all day long.
Protect (30 seconds) - One of the most important parts of your skincare routine, yet one of the most overlooked. Sun damage accelerates the ageing process in your skin and also causes patches of pigmentation and uneven skin tone. Applying an SPF to your skin daily is the best way to prevent these conditions from forming, rather than trying to battle them once they have already taken over.
Thats all it takes to start the process towards better skin! Book a consultation with one of our skin therapists today to have a skin assessment and product prescription that is customized to your unique skincare needs.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN FACTORS THAT CAUSE SKIN TO APPEAR "AGED"
While there are no known products that can completely halt the signs of ageing, there are several important factors that lead to the rapid appearance of aged skin. As we become more knowledgable about these factors, it becomes easier for us to slow them down, allowing us to look more youthful for longer.
There are three major factors identified as resulting in the aged appearance of your skin.
1. (ROS) Reactive Oxygen Species or "Free Radicals" - We like to think of these lil buggers as the unstable (rebel-without-a-cause) type oxygen molecules who attack your good, law abiding molecules, eventually corrupting them. These free radicals cause a breakdown in your collagen and elastin, wrinkles and inflammation, These free radicals not only cause damage to your skin, but also lessens the skins ability to repair itself.
2. (MMPs) Matrix Metalloproteinases enzymes which breakdown your collagen, elastin and other important proteins while preventing the formation and production of new cells. They are always present in the body, but their population grows as a result of ageing, sun exposure and other environmental factors.
3. (AGEs) Advanced Glycation End-products contribute to the loss of elasticity, wrinkles, inflammation, inhibited skin cell growth and accelerated ageing. AGEs form naturally within the body when proteins and fats combine with sugars, causing them to become glycated. This glycation affects the normal function of cells making them more susceptible to damage and premature aging.
A good skincare routine and high quality products are your best defense against the aging process.
WHY IS MY SKIN SO SENSITIVE?
"Sensitive skin" is a term that is often misused, resulting in improper products being used on the skin, and fear of using certain products.
It is important to determine if your skin is SENSITIVE (Genetic condition) or SENSITIZED (Environmental condition)
Sensitive skin - Generally found in those of Northern European descent. Higher levels of histamine in the body, lower amount of protective pigmentation and a generally thinner epidermal layer are all signs that you have sensitive skin.
Sensitized skin - If you do not fall into the outlined "sensitive skin" category, chances are that your skin is not sensitive, but has become sensitized over time due to any one or combination of the following factors:
- exposure to environmental assault / pollutions
- exposure to harmful chemicals
- exposure to incorrect/harsh products
- climate related
Sensitized skin can be combated and is usually just a matter of finding the right products for your skin type combined with repairing your skins natural barrier.
See a skin therapist today to discover whether your skin is sensitive or sensitized and get that unsightly inflammation under control.